I don’t think it’s any secret that Christians have been under fire a lot lately in the media and the social media, sometimes for warranted reasons, sometimes not. And while there is a time and a season for everything, a time for us to be silent and a time to speak, a time for war and a time for peace (Ecclesiastes 3), it seems like we often leave the “Christ” out of Christianity in pursuit of our own agendas.
In Mark 8, Jesus asked his disciples, “Who do you say I am?” This week and next, our blog posts are really simple, but I think sometimes the simple beauty of the Gospel is what we neglect. I asked some of my closest friends what they most love about Jesus, who they say he is. So here it is, a list of the thirteen things we most love about the character of our Savior Jesus Christ:
- He is everything I am not.
- He is steadfast when I wander.
- How He feels about me never changes, regardless of how fickle I am.
- He draws me away from the distractions of life, out to where it’s just me and Him, to show me a greater love.
- He is my strength in weakness.
- Through Christ, I am able to come boldly before my Father.
- He is the perfect spotless lamb.
- With Christ, there is no more striving. I don’t have to wait for a priest to slaughter an animal for God to hear my prayers. He sits with His ear inclined towards me now, regardless of my season of life, because Jesus His son has accepted me.
- Jesus, both in the New Testament and today, can see people as they truly are and knows exactly how to relate to each person to bring them closer to God. I’m so thankful for his patience with me and that he never gives up on me.
- Jeremiah 33:3—Seek me and I will tell you hidden things that you have not known—my rough quote— This scripture reminds me that God is full of wonder and new things. He is not someone that I have all figured out. He is full of new things and he is not boring. Jesus waits for his children to seek him and he has adventures in store, hidden things that we have yet to understand.
- He understands me: There’s a song that says, “You were as I, tempted and tried; human.” Jesus was fully God, but also fully human. Even though He resisted temptation magnificently better than I ever did or ever could, He understands what I face. When no one else in the world understands what I’m experiencing, He does. When no one else knows what to say, He does.
- He knows my name: The worst feeling is when someone doesn’t know your name. They will stare at you, trying to figure out who you are, but you just end up having to tell them your name. With Jesus, He knows my name. He knew my name before time began. I am known by the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and that makes me feel pretty dang special!
- He has a beautiful voice: When Jesus speaks to me, or sings over me, I cannot help but smile. He has the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard. It can be quiet, still and sweet, but then it can also be powerful, direct and authoritative. When He speaks, I can’t help but listen. I want to hear everything He has to say.
These are a few of the infinite wonderful things about our Savior. When Jesus asked, “Who do you say I am?” Peter’s answer was simple: “You are the Christ.”
So what do you most love about Jesus—a human who walked through his own human life, and a God who walks with you through yours? Who do you say he is?